Washington Elementary School District #6
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Office Technician - Vision Resources
at Washington Elementary School District #6
Pay Grade: 4120
Position Control: 3293
Department: Special Services
Accountable To: Vision Resource Teachers
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Creation/Revision Date: July 1, 2017
Summary: Under general supervision, incumbent(s) handles the adaptation of print materials for use by visually imparied students to include scanning or inputting regular print materials for transcription, reviewing scanned text for inaccuracies, writing narrative descriptions of images, and transcribing Braile documents.
- Scans or manually inputs regular print materials for transcription into Braille documents and text books using specialized software programs.
- Reviews scanned text for proper use of punctuation and context in accordance with Braille rules. Formats using Braille, to ensure transcribed document provides the same information other students are receiving.
- Writes narrative descriptions of pictures included in stories, editorials, tests, etc.; creates charts, graphs or other descriptors in Braille to ensure the student is receiving the same level of information as all students.
- Transcribes Grade 2 Braille documents to Grade 1.
- Maintains an inventory of all print materials transcribed.
- Maintains specialized transcription software programs by troubleshooting problems, installing program upgrades and contacting technical support for assistance when necessary. Maintains supplies for the computer.
- Performs other related duties as required.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
Coursework equivalent to a High School Diploman (G.E.D.); one year experience working with a visually impaired student and one year experience work in an office setting; or, two years experience working in an office setting requiring the use of a computer; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- General office machines;
- Proper grammar and punctuation principles;
- Grade 1 and Grade 2 Braille or willingness to learn within one year from date of hire;
- Personal computers;
- Setting up and maintaining filing systems;
- Working effectively under pressure;
- Applying proper grammar and punctuation to written text;
- Organizing work to meet deadlines;
- Interpersonal communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus.
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Contact Information
Monday, July 1, 2019 12:00 AM
(Mountain Standard Time)