Volunteers of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
LPN Health Unit Coordinator
at Volunteers of America
Volunteers of America is looking for a Full-Time LPN Health Unit Coordinator at The Preserve Rehab and Living Center in Fort Myers, FL!
Health Unit Coordinator and Staffing Coordinator
- Record medical and administrative information in accordance with established charting and documentation policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update roster of residents for assigned unit.
- Answer telephone calls, page calls, deliver messages to residents, etc.
- Transcribe doctor's orders as per facility policy. Acknowledges and coordinates the communication of physician's orders.
- Tracks due dates of physician order renewal.
- Coordinate physician call log and fax log.
- Faxes appropriate information to the pharmacy, lab and clinics as directed by the nurses and physician orders.
- Record appropriate resident identification data on designated medical records, wristbands, ID cards, resident personal property, etc., as required.
- Reports to the Nurse Supervisor/Nurse Manager discrepancies found in transcribing physician orders, diet orders/changes, charting, etc.
- Taking doctor's orders over the phone and transcribing onto physician order sheets, medication and treatment sheets.
- Transcribe transfer orders on new admits/re-admits.
- Putting calls and/or faxing clarifications on new admits/re-admits.
- Mailing out monthly physicians' orders or leave in Nurse Practitioner's folder for signature.
- Review medication sheets for completeness of information, accuracy in the transcription of the physician's order, legibility, etc., as directed.
- Record vital signs as directed.
- Forward new orders to appropriate disciplines, i.e., dietary, physical therapy, etc.
- Coordinates resident appointments for diagnostic and therapeutic services:
- Other medical referral;
- Podiatrist, Ophthalmologist, Hearing, Dental.
- Prepares paperwork as appropriate and initiates getting the nurse to complete medical/nursing sections of forms.
- Prepares physician order sheets, medication administration records and treatment sheets for the nurses to check each month.
- Admit, transfer and discharge residents. Assist in arranging transportation, completion of necessary paperwork per facility policy.
- Review all new admissions for completion of necessary medical and administrative records.
- Patient Death (as required):
- Have mortician sign back of face sheet on chart;
- Collect all forms that belong in the chart;
- Pull chart forms and send to medical records.
- Keep the medical records in good order, free of loose/torn papers.
- Update flow sheets as indicated by the Nurse Manager/Director of Nursing.
- Order medical equipment as requested.
- Forward completed charts of discharged residents to medical records.
- Greets, directs, communicates and assists residents, family members, visitors and personnel in a friendly, courteous manner.
- Receives, places and transfers calls in an efficient a courteous manner.
- Communicates with appropriate people as necessary for exchange of information, clarification and follow-up.
- Operate fax machine and copy machine.
- Uses discretion to protect the confidentiality of information.
- Perform all clerical tasks for the resident/station.
- Prioritizes, organizes and coordinates desk activities for the resident/station.
Nursing Care Functions
- Maintain each resident chart. Record information accurately on the resident's chart.
- Assemble admission charts and disassemble discharge charts according to procedure.
- Inform nursing service personnel of new admissions.
- Maintain charts in sequential order, inserting chart forms and filing as needed. Update face sheet with changes as they occur.
- Make doctor appointments for residents.
- Set up transportation for residents and assist as needed with escorting residents and families.
- Keep doctor visits up-to-date and inform family members as necessary of resident appointments, etc.
- Encourage physicians to sign progress notes, physician orders, etc. on a timely basis.
- Fax labs.
- Keep the filing drawers full with copies of all nursing paperwork. Thin charts on a regular basis per facility policy.
- Maintain confidentiality of all resident information.
- Treat all residents with dignity, kindness and respect.
- Graduate of a HUC education program if applicable or LPN or completion of a medical transcription course preferred.
- Prior experience as a Health Unit Coordinator in health care preferred.
- Effective communicator with staff, families and outside agencies.
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Ability to prioritize duties.
- Customer service oriented with knowledge of successful customer service technique.
- Ability to understand residents' charts, doctor's orders, residents' plan of care, medication orders.
- Ability to organize and maintain nursing unit order.
- Attention to detail, follow through.
- Ability to adapt easily to change in routine.
- Ability to relate well with various personalities.
- Ability to utilize computers and other electronic devices for tasks such as timekeeping, in-servicing and documentation.
- Must be a team player.