Volunteers of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Business Office Manager
at Volunteers of America
Interacts directly with residents, their families/responsible parties, all levels of staff and vendors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Assumes primary responsibility for the operation of all data-processing equipment and components:
- Performs all data processing functions on the facility computer including, but not limited to, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Census and Resident Trust Funds.
- Verifies and reconciles all items entered into the computer system.
- Processes and reviews all computer reports on a timely basis.
- Oversees all processing and reporting functions on the facility time clock.
- Ensures that the appropriate system backups and upgrades have been processed.
2. Assumes specific responsibilities relating to Accounts Receivable processing.
- Reconciles all Accounts Receivable and prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Submits required periodic reports to Medicaid, Medicare and other third payers.
- Reconciles monthly detailed Accounts Receivable Room and Board charges.
- Assists the Administrator with the collection of past due accounts; explains all past due accounts.
- Ensures that appropriate billing is submitted for all residents, including charges for room and board, therapies, special equipment, medical supplies and services that are not included in the established daily rate.
3. Oversees specific responsibilities relating to the Accounts Payable system.
- Responds to vendors' questions regarding accounting and payment problems.
- Reviews all invoices for completeness, proper coding and approval.
- Reconciles vendor statements as needed.
4. Oversees specific responsibilities relating to the Payroll function of the facility.
- Reviews time cards for completeness.
- Ensures that proper documentation exists and that benefits are entitled for all special pay, such as vacation or sick pay, before payment is processed.
- Prepares payroll savings/IRA and related reports and deposit funds.
- Reconciles payroll reports.
- Completes wage verification.
5. Assumes specific responsibilities in the preparation of month-end Financial Statements; submits month-end information to Corporate Office.
6. Assumes specific responsibilities relating to the banking function of the facility.
- Reconciles the Personal Fund, transfer and zero balance banking accounts.
- Informs the Corporate Office of any disbursement problems such as stop payments, lost checks, etc.
- Calls in deposits to the Cash Management System.
- Ensures the recording and deposit of all cash receipts.
7. Participates in the annual facility budgeting process; supplies statistical information to the Administrator as requested.
8. Administers personnel functions of the Business Office.
- Interviews and hires department personnel; supervises orientation; counsels and/or disciplines employees on infractions of established rules; terminates employees when needed; conducts exit interviews of department personnel.
- Conducts performance evaluations and recommends wage changes.
- Develops, implements and maintains work routines and staffing schedules.
- Initiates and directs in-service training programs for the department.
- Attends required in-services & completes assigned on-line modules.
9. Oversees administration of Resident Trust Funds.
- Inputs deposits and withdrawals.
- Posts interest to accounts.
- Assists residents with their accounts.
10. Assists other facility personnel in the proper use of data processing equipment as needed.
11. Supplies statistical information to facility and corporate personnel as needed.
12. Monitors the Personal Fund System.
13. Assumes responsibility for the overall organization of the Business Office; ensures the proper filing and storage of all pertinent Business Office records.
14. Submits a brief monthly report, oral or written, to Executive Director concerning department functions and expenditures.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Works in office areas.
- Interacts with staff and other personnel.
- May be subjected to interruptions throughout the workday.
- Exposure to blood, body tissue of fluids.
- Exposure to hazardous waste materials, dust and loud or unpleasant noises.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associate Degree with major concentration in areas of bookkeeping or data processing, or three years' bookkeeping or data processing experience.
- Minimum one-year experience as a full charge bookkeeper, preferably in a healthcare setting. Medicare and Medicaid billing experience is desirable.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with various levels of facility and corporate staff, residents, family members and the public.
- Numerical ability.
- Organizational ability.
- Ability to handle interruptions on a regular basis as well as the stress associated with meeting a variety of deadlines.
- Ability to utilize computers and other electronic devices for tasks such as timekeeping, in-servicing and documentation.
- Ability to meet the requirements identified as indicated in the essential job functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to meet these demands:
- Is frequently required to sit throughout day.
- The employee is required to finger, feel, touch, hear, and use the phone extensively.
- Stands and walks intermittently throughout the working day.
- On occasion may lift and carry up to thirty-five (35) lbs.
- May bend, stoop, squat, reach, push and pull throughout workday.
- Works inside; working area is subject to slight increase in temperature and noise due to the operation of computer equipment.
- Ability to adapt to changes in daily work hour and schedule.