The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Salvation Army - Southwest Division
- Arrange for quarterly intergenerational programs.
- Arrange for a variety of monthly health promotion programs designed to maintain or improve the health status of older individuals including, but not limited to drug and alcohol abuse.
- Provide monthly educational opportunities and arrange for speaker that will assist older individuals with their economic, health, and personal needs.
- Assist in the planning and execution of outreach activities and publicity of the senior programs and activities as outlined in the Area Agency for Aging contract. This includes, but not limited to, the distribution of program information to areas in program target areas as well as new participants.
- Maintain and keep current program files.
- Maintain statistical records, post activity sign-up sheets and produce reports as required by the Area Agency for Aging contract and the Salvation Army National Statistical System.
- Plan and implement special events, e.g. Night Out, Club Day, Christmas Party, Volunteer Recognition, etc. This includes, but not limited to, arranging for special guests.
- Prepare the monthly activity calendar ONE MONTH IN ADVANCE and submit it for approval.
- Keep the craft room area and supplies clean and organized.
- Attend the monthly Activity Committee Meetings.
- Assist with bank deposits in accordance with Salvation Army and Area Agency on Aging policy.
- Conduct three (3) home visits per week and make follow up telephone calls to new and/or prospective participants, documenting the date of contacts.
- Provide coverage for the kitchen staff during scheduled vacations and sick days.
- Encourage and motivate seniors to participate in activities.
- Encourage participant contributions using envelopes for confidentiality during each activity.
- Assist the staff in any and all program areas when requested and as the need arises.
Skill / Requirements
- High School diploma or GED required
- College coursework or degree in related field preferred
- Minimum three years’ experience programming older adult activities
- Experience in non-profit organization preferred
- Must be a person of high integrity and willing to support the mission of The Salvation Army
- Leadership skills, problem solving capabilities, and the ability to maintain a positive attitude and professional manner while interacting with LDSAC employees, guests, and the general public
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to carry out multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Be self-motivated and self-directed with the ability and desire to take projects from beginning to completion
- May be required to work flexible schedule, including weekends and evenings.
- Ability to create interesting and diverse programming to meets the needs of all program participants
- Extraordinary customer service skills
- Computer literate with Microsoft Office skills required
- Valid driver’s license and insured transportation
- First Aid, CPR, and AED required. If not current, certification must be obtained within two months of employment. Instructor certification preferred
- Required to pass a criminal background check
Qualified individuals must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation. A qualified person with a disability may request a modification or adjustment to the job or work environment in order to meet the physical requirements of the position. The Salvation Army will attempt to satisfy requests as long as the accommodation needed is reasonable and no undue hardship would result.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, stand, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl and reach with hands and arms on a continuous basis. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must have the ability to operate telephone, a desktop or laptop computer, as well as the ability to access and produce information from a computer, and to understand written information.
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.