The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Security Shift Supervisor
at The Geo Group
Facility: SOUTHEAST TEXAS TRANSITIONAL CENTER
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under direct supervision, maintain continuous state of alertness and awareness to control and secure the facility and residents. Operate within legal constraints and contract agency stipulations in order to maintain the security of the facility and safety of residents, staff and community. Supervise Monitor activities and assist in providing training to them.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- May perform all duties of Monitor I and/or Monitor II.
- Provide leadership to Monitors through the assignment of work, monitoring of progress and review of results.
- Under the supervision of the Shift Supervisor oversee shift personnel duties so the security of the facility is maintained. Review all reports written during assigned shift to ensure accuracy and completeness and verify all scheduled passes and appointments.
- Physically patrol building to observe and listen to individual residents and groups of residents and monitor the state of the building. Examples of activities include smelling for marijuana; listening to conversations; ensuring doors and windows are properly secured. Perform random perimeter checks including exterior doors of the facility and monitor the alarm system.
- Perform the following activities on both a scheduled and random basis: urinalysis testing, pat downs, shakedowns, counts, room searches, breath tests, etc., to maintain control and security of the residents and facility.
- Document disciplinary action for rule violations according to procedure, to comply with contracting agency requirements, and log accordingly.
- Supervise meals, visitor hours, and work details to observe for unusual or suspicious activities or behavior so that preventative measures are taken prior to potential problem occurrences.
- Use judgment to determine inappropriate or abnormal conditions or behavior. Take action to verify or correct abnormal or unusual situations, or request assistance and input from a peer or supervisor of the situation escalates beyond your capabilities.
- Conduct scheduled and impromptu inspections of resident living and common areas for cleanliness and proper maintenance in order to meet health and safety requirements. Forward maintenance reports to the Shift Supervisor.
- Maintain legible, accurate and concise records in the daily logs; including phone, resident in/out, visitor in/out, and facility check logs. Include information on facility conditions; unusual or suspicious resident behavior, comments, complaints or grievances, etc., so that staff on all shifts are continuously informed of the status of residents and facility.
- Perform resident admit/discharge procedures in accordance with facility policies and procedures and contracting agency requirements. Complete intake form, set up resident folder, orient resident to rules and inventory belongings at intake. At discharge, ensure that all facility property has been returned and verify that release is authorized.
- Prepare incident reports that are legible, and accurately reflect all pertinent.
- Provide transportation of residents, using facility vehicle, in accordance with the needs of the facility.
- Visually check logs (e.g., UA, room search, medication, pat down, verification) to determine if the activity has occurred and that the information recorded is correct and complete.
- Make initial contact with any visitors and verify their identity. Be professional and courteous while assisting visitor or government officials with resident affairs (e.g., arrival, release, etc.).
- Participate in staff meetings by sharing observations and recommendations regarding the facility, residents and staff relations to identify and resolve problems and function as a unified team.
- Maintain confidentiality obtained through job duties regarding employees, vendors, residents, outside agencies, etc., so that sensitive information is only given on a "need to know" basis.
- Comply with policies and work rules as described in the company Employee Handbook, the Statement of Work, and the Facility Policies and Procedures Manual, including directives of managers and supervisors in a cooperative spirit to ensure conformance to company standards.
- Maintain a professional presentation, demeanor, and interaction at all times (including tone, volume and manner of speech, as well as facial expressions or other mannerisms) when interacting with residents, staff, visitors, or outside agencies (in person or over telephone).
- Adhere to attendance policy; be available to work all shifts; work overtime as required, to ensure adequate coverage of the program and to ensure the safety and security of the residents.
- Comply with facility safety rules; take appropriate corrective action to ensure work is performed in a safe manner and without injury to self or others.
- Communicate effectively with all levels of staff in a manner that promotes a team spirit and a sense of cooperation.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years related experience (i.e.: security, criminal justice, military, corrections, community based services); supervisory experience preferred.
- Familiar with community corrections system and current community corrections practices.
- Sufficient organizational skills to keep the workflow on-going in an orderly manner.
- Express thoughts logically, in both written and verbal form using correct grammar.
- Demonstrate flexibility in order to perform a wide range of duties.
- Valid, active driver's license.