Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 7/6/2020
Please be advised that this position is temporary and based on the current operational needs of the Steward Health Care Steward Morton Hospital. Therefore, the duration of this position is subject to the discretion of Steward Health Morton Hospital based on such operational needs.
Unit Information Secretaries work in the nursing area of hospitals. They are primarily the conduit for information management and processing, to ensure the operations of the unit. Actual interpretation of data collected may vary by type of unit.
- Coordinate unit activity, main point of contact between unit and transport, ancillaries, and physicians.
- Answers all calls by identifying department and name.
- Aware of new orders – transport and ancillary orders, if a test is added etc and communicates to the appropriate nurse.
- Maintains and updates physician pager numbers monthly for nurses, this will be essential during downtime.
- Report any telephone problems to communications and bump up the chain of command to Director/Supervisor.
- Maintain a list of phone numbers of physicians in the area.
- Monitors that all patients have proper arm bands on. Contact registration/admissions for replacement.
- Maintain stock of lab/x-ray requisitions for downtime.
- Report printer and computer problems to help desk/ put a ticket in and inform Director/Supervisor.
- Provides and tracks data: i.e. page to MD and response, discharge information etc as requested for flow of the department.
- Orders and maintains accurate par levels for inventories.
- Assists in maintaining a safe environment and intervenes appropriately.
- Utilizes the proper procedures and addresses patients’ concerns by notifying the charge nurse, Director/Supervisor.
- Initiates and tracks appropriate facilities, BioMed, housekeeping and IT related problems/replacements/request on work orders.
- Notifies BioMed department of malfunctioning equipment and arranges repair requests, and tracks equipment to ensure it is returned to the department.
- Copies charts and other materials as requested.
- Maintains and tracks compliance with BLS, TB, Fit testing and all minimal job requirements.
- Participates on committees as requested.
- Relays accurate messages to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Participates in quality improvement projects as requested by Director.
- Responds to staffing needs of the healthcare team by cross-training and floating to other units.
- Performs all other duties as required for improved function, and in meeting unit goals.
- Makes staffing calls to fill holes as directed.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance and punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Is part of a team effort to ensure quality services.
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Produces quality results.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
- Monitors paper documentation to ensure dates/time/signatures etc are documented.
- Keeps nursing desk clean and tidy. Ensures appropriate books and manuals, forms etc are in the appropriate place and current.
- Where telemetry exists boxes are inventoried, checked on discharge that box is in slot.
- Organizes work spaces as requested by Director of the department.