Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
1812 - Administrative Specialist (Administration Division)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This postion is in the Finance and Risk Management Department.
Salary Grade: 42
This position is located in the Administration Division of the Department of Finance and Risk Management. The successful candidate will work in a team oriented environment, performing the day-to-day tasks required to provide excellent customer service for multiple divisions within the department.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Provides general professional administrative services for a department, division, or program (work unit) within Pima County;
Works with County personnel and/or outside agencies to coordinate programs and projects and monitors activities;
Coordinates and participates in the provision of internal services such as accounting, payroll, personnel, management information services and/or purchasing;
Evaluates work unit requirements and recommends new or revised administrative policies and procedures;
Ensures work unit policies, procedures and activities comply with applicable state/federal statutes and regulations and County policy;
Creates and maintains databases using automated information systems to monitor and track information and compiles, edits and summarizes data to produce routine, periodic and special reports;
Prepares standard work unit intergovernmental agreements (IGA), contracts and other obligatory agreements;
Participates in preparing work unit budgets and monitors expenditures;
Researches and analyzes data and prepares reports, recommendations, memoranda, letters and various documents;
May supervise, train and evaluate staff and conduct employee orientation meetings;
May act as a representative of the work unit in meetings with county personnel and/or outside agencies.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- principles and practices of public administration;
- project/program coordination and implementation;
- applications of automated information systems;
- research/analysis methods and report writing;
- laws, regulations, statutes, policies, and procedures (county/state/federal) applicable to work unit;
- principles and practices of contractual agreements and administration;
- basic accounting, purchasing and financial record keeping principles and practices;
- public relations/public speaking/meeting facilitation.
Some positions require knowledge of employee supervision, training and evaluation.
Some positions require knowledge of terminology and principles, practices and procedures specific to the area of assignment.
- coordinating and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and program activities;
- use of automated information systems to develop and maintain data bases, spreadsheets and word processing programs;
- analyzing and evaluating information and processes and making recommendations;
- researching and compiling information and writing reports;
- interpreting and applying statutes, regulations, policies and procedures;
- communicating effectively;
- organizing, coordinating, and facilitating meetings and events.
Some positions require skill in supervising, training and evaluating staff.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in public administration, business administration, management or a closely related field and one year of professional experience in public or business administration.
(Relevant professional level experience may substitute for the aforementioned education.)
(2) Three years of experience within Pima County as an Administrative Support Specialist or closely related paraprofessional administrative classification.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Knowledge/experience in hiring practices.
- Knowledge/experience with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experience with receptionist/customer service duties.
- Knowledge/experience with invoice payments using Enterprise Resource Planning System.
- Knowledge/experience with purchasing card (P-card or similar).
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions within this classification may require specialized certification relative to assignment at the time of appointment or prior to completion of an initial or promotional probation period. Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application or prior to completion of an initial or promotional probation period. Failure to obtain/maintain the required certification/licensures shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions within this classification may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation, polygraph test and/or drug screening at the time of appointment.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.