Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Operator - Registry
at Pinal County
- Applicant Notices:
- This is a registry intended to collect applications for future job vacancies.
- This announcement may be closed as soon as a sufficient number of qualified applicants have applied.
Perform entry-level work in the operation of specialized trucks and motorized equipment used for a variety of job functions in the Public Works Department (PWD) and operate tools and equipment in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures under close supervision.
- Example of Duties
Work in this classification requires an individual to be able to perform the essential job functions satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary classification functions herein described. Since every duty associated with this classification may not be described herein, employees may be required to perform duties not specifically spelled out in this classification description, but which may be reasonably considered to be incidental in the performing of their duties just as though they were actually written out in this description.
TYPICAL CLASSIFICATION ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Operate a variety of specialized equipment to maintain Pinal County roads, roadways, drainage systems and infrastructure, in accordance with all safety regulations and procedures.
- Operate PWD vehicles and motorized equipment, including light trucks, water trucks, mowers, loaders, and back hoes.
- Perform manual labor tasks, repair pot holes, clear debris from culverts and roadway, and move and set barricades.
- Work on assigned projects and make appropriate decisions based on work experience.
- Maintain required daily logs, reports, and maintenance records.
- Clean and perform routine maintenance work on trucks and equipment, identify and report mechanical problems requiring additional repair, and notify supervisors of repair problems beyond the scope of authority.
- Follow all safety rules and regulations, utilize proper safety precautions in all work performed, and report safety hazards, equipment problems, and emergency situations.
- Perform tasks in the interest of public safety during emergencies, perform traffic control activities as needed, report safety hazards and traffic problems, and cross-train in PWD work methods and safety procedures.
- Clean up spills and unsafe conditions in a timely manner and according to procedures.
- Closely follow written and verbal instructions.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, customer records, and restricted County information.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Minimum Requirements
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year of maintenance experience.
- Valid Arizona State Driver's License.
- Minimum of a valid Arizona class B Commercial Driver's License is required within six months of hire.
- Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience may substitute for the minimum requirements.
- CPR/First Aid Certified
- CDL Permit
- Availability for on call status
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of materials and methods used in roadway maintenance.
- Knowledge of Federal and state safety rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions, including proper use and storage of chemicals, and OSHA Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for hazardous chemicals used in the workplace.
- Skill in operating and maintaining tools and equipment in a safe and effective manner.
- Ability to follow directions and maintain safety standards.
- Knowledge of personal computers utilizing standard and specialized software.
- Ability to work with others to complete daily tasks.
- Knowledge of materials, methods, tools, equipment, and supplies used in roadway maintenance.
The work is very heavy work and requires exerting in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. The work also requires the ability to balance, climb, crawl, crouch, finger, feel, grasp, handle, reach, kneel, lift, pull, push, perform repetitive motion, walk, operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment, hear, speak, stand, stoop, walk, and demonstrate mental and visual acuity.
Work is performed outside in an environment with varying weather temperatures.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check and verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.