Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Legal Secretary I - Glendale, CA
Under close supervision, PERFORMS entry level legal secretarial and administrative duties for a Staff Counsel office. DEVELOPS working knowledge of legal concepts, practices, and Staff Counsel procedures applicable by jurisdiction.
1. ANSWERS, SCREENS, and LOGS voicemail messages and incoming/outgoing calls to GEICO personnel, clients, claimants, opposing counsel and /or courts for the Attorneys. GREETS visitors.
2. RESPONDS to general inquiries regarding office procedure and appointments. REFERS complex inquiries to the appropriate Attorney or support staff member for further handling.
3. SORTS, LOGS, DISTRIBUTES, DATE-STAMPS and/or FILES items received by mail. PERFORMS basic faxing, scanning, typing, filing, and copying requests.
4. PARTICIPATES in the preparation of pleadings, routine motions, notices, jury demands, routine discovery, and correspondence of a non-dictated nature, within the case management system, for attorney review and signature.
5. MAINTAINS attorney calendars by SCHEDULING, RESCHEDULING, CONFIRMING, and/or CANCELING appointments within agreed parameters. May SCHEDULE other appointments, including but not limited to conferences, examinations under oath, and depositions. CREATES diary entries, journals, and statistical records for the attorneys.
6. REVIEWS invoices to ensure compliance with the Expense Management & Controls Memorandum. PREPARES checks in accordance with established procedures and SENDS to the appropriate individual to facilitate payment.
7. ORGANIZES and MAINTAINS court case files to include opening, closing, and storage.
8. May PARTICIPATE in the training and onboarding process for Staff Counsel Support Staff.
9. MEETS the requirements specified below
- Work activities involve combinations of sitting, walking, kneeling, climbing, pulling, bending, lifting, carrying and standing for extended periods.
- Must be able to follow complex instructions, resolve conflicts or facilitate conflict resolution, and have strong organization/priority setting skills.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Must be able to learn and apply large amounts of technical and procedural information.
- Must be able to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Based on jurisdiction, may need to obtain and maintain a notary license. Must have the ability to type at least 50 words per minute.
- 401(k) and profit-sharing plans
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Paid vacation, holidays and leave programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Associate assistance program
- Flexible spending accounts
- Business casual dress
- Fitness and dining facilities (at most locations)
- Associate clubs and sports teams
- Volunteer opportunities
- GEICO Federal Credit Union