St Thomas Preschool
Catholic School Job Description
Job Title: After Care Assistant Teacher Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Department/Location: St. Thomas Preschool/Tucson, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the preschool Director the After Care Assistant Teacher is responsible for coordinating the curriculum and activities for students in a highly structured environment. The provider shall be a minister of the Gospel and Catholic teaching both academically and behaviorally while at work and in personal life, "Live in a manner worthy of the call you have received." (Eph. 4:1)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of this Ministerial Position
- Shall recognize and support the unique Catholic Mission of the School by speaking, acting, and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The employee may not espouse any doctrine inconsistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church;
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the employee’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures;
- Shall give evidence of living Gospel values by being an active member of a faith community and being open to the importance of a personal faith journey; shall strive to model the teaching of Jesus by attitude and example in the coordinator’s professional and private life;
- Develop and use effective methods of evaluation that are directly related to curriculum objectives and to concepts and skills taught; consistently, clearly, and effectively evaluate student progress;
- Establish a consistent disciplinary approach which promotes self-direction and positive self-image; set high standards for student and providers behavior and manage inappropriate behavior effectively;
- Maintain a functional and pleasant learning environment;
- Serve students from PreK-8 targeted for blended learning centered around reading, math, gardening, and physical activities
- Facilitate class stations and outside physical activities.
- Cooperate with School and Diocesan administration; work effectively with all staff members to promote positive relationships with students and parents. Specific attention will be given toward prompt attendance at scheduled faculty trainings and meetings.
- At all times demonstrate professional responsibility in enforcing School policies and regulations;
- Maintain confidentiality of information; display sound judgment in dress and general behavior. At all times demonstrate professional responsibility in all tasks assigned; display sound judgment in dress and general behavior
- Adhere to all child care licensing policies and procedures as required by the State of Arizona
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual capabilities, and the ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Roman Catholic Church. If a baptized Catholic, must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church. If not a baptized Catholic, must nonetheless abide by Catholic principles in the employee’s professional and private life.
- Excellent communications skills including written and oral, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Excellent human relations and interpersonal skills; must be a self-starter and be well-organized; must be a team player.
- Be available for evening and weekend work as necessary; have reliable transportation.
- Be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology including word processing and the use of excel and related technology;
- Ability and willingness to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a ministerial environment.
- Complete a criminal history and background check.
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance.
Education and Experience
- Experience with after school programs and has knowledge of curriculum and structure.
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish)
- Salary commensurate with experience and educational achievement
Covenants of Employment:
St Thomas the Apostle is a Roman Catholic religious organization and that all employees are expected to respect and conduct themselves in accordance with the values, teachings and morals of the Roman Catholic Church and by Arizona state law. Under the "Zero Tolerance Policy", no one will be knowingly assigned or retained to serve in the School when that person is determined to have engaged in the abuse of a minor or to have violated boundaries in dealing with minors.