San Martin de Porres
Job Title: Administrative Assistant I Exemption Status: Non-exempt
Department/Location: San Martin de Porres Catholic Church - Sahuarita, AZ
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Pastor or other assigned supervisor is responsible for coordinating, facilitating, and for providing secretarial and administrative support and perform other varied functions as necessary in the parish.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform as a lay ecclesial minister in support of the parish’s spiritual and pastoral mission.
- Fosters communication and works collaboratively with all Parish and other diocesan employees.
- Sall recognize and support the unique Catholic Mission of the Parish by speaking, acting, and instructing consistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church. The employee may not espouse any doctrine inconsistent with the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church;
- Shall abide by Catholic principles in the employee’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures;
- Shall give evidence of living Gospel values by being an active member of a faith community and being open to the importance of a personal faith journey; shall strive to model the teaching of Jesus by attitude and example in the employee’s professional and private life;
- Receive and handle in a professional manner, incoming mail, calls and visitors; screen and handle requests for information.
- Recommend changes to and coordinate Religious Education curriculum, assess needs, incorporate prayer, service and outreach at all levels.
- Assist the pastor or staff in administering the Faith Formation office; Youth and Adult Formation to include program coordination, assign catechists and volunteers, keep sacramental records, set and enforce facilities guidelines; ensure a safe environment is in place.
- Assist in the Faith Formation office in record keeping and communication to parish and families.
- Recruit and assist in the formation of Catechists, including Catechist education and training, adhering to Diocese of Tucson Safe Environment requirements at all times.
- Assist with and help coordinate the communication and record keeping of funerals, baptisms, and weddings.
- Assist in the preparation of Mass intentions, tamper proof collection bags for daily and Sunday Mass, liturgical, sacramental celebrations and fundraising events
- Help the Liturgy Ministry to maintain schedules and notifications for liturgical volunteers.
- Provide support to parish personnel as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Physical/Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in a normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; handling; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of, and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Catholic Church; must also be a practicing Catholic in full communion with the Church
- Excellent communications skills, verbal and written; excellent human relations interpersonal skills
- Exercise courtesy to fellow employees, parishioners and the general public
- Must be a self-starter; well organized; perform multiple tasks simultaneously and work with a sense of urgency
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment; punctuality is a must at all times; ability to travel locally as required; weekend and overtime work may be required
- Proficiency in computer technology to include Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point, web based data entry, and internet research; minimum typing skill of 30-40 wpm
- Professional bearing; clean and neat personal appearance
- Ability to successfully pass a background, criminal history, and credit history check
Education and Experience:
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- 1 year’s experience as a receptionist in a small, medium or large firm or equivalent experience
- Bilingual (English-Spanish) preferred