Cocopah Indian Tribe
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Court Service Coordinator
at Cocopah Indian Tribe
Under the direction of the Tribal Administration and Tribal Court Judge, the Court Services Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the Tribal Court files, preparing Court Documents, providing forms for the public for filing and supervising the Tribal Court operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: include the following.
- Draft complaint, subpoenas, notices, summons, and warrants.
- Prepare all current criminal complaints, juvenile pre-petitions and all civil action papers and file same with court for court date.
- Prepare official court agenda prior to hearing.
- File notices of Appeal and petitions with the court.
- Researches and composes court documents as required.
- Issues summons, subpoenas and warrants as required by the Tribal Judge.
- Maintain official court calendar.
- Schedule trials in accordance with Judge’s schedule.
- Coordinate hearing with the parties.
- Receives probation action filed by the Probation Officer and issues warrants or summons as directed by the Tribal Judge.
- Notifies defendants, minor’s parents and officers of pending court date on proceedings by the proper legal notice, letter or form letter.
- Subpoenas witnesses upon receiving a completed request form listing the names and addresses of all whom are to be subpoenaed.
- Maintains all records of court proceedings.
- Maintains permanents Court Docket book as required by law.
- Attends court sessions, records proceedings by tape recorded and prepared transcript of case for permanent record and assign court case number.
- Attends all hearings and intakes, announces Judge places file on bench, advises child, parents or defendants where and when to stand or sit, records in long hand all pertinent information, i.e. parties present, charges and rights read, plea testimony and disposition. Swear in defendant and all witnesses if needed.
- Follows any special instructions given by judge. Clears courtroom for next hearing. Gives people clarification information.
- Maintains cross index file on adjudicated cases, probationers and fines due.
- Collects all fines and restitutions and accounts for monies received and deposits with Finance Department.
- Received bond payments, makes proper release of defendants and returns bond payments after case is satisfied.
- Maintains all evidential material.
- Assists tribal members in the drafting and execution of pleadings and documents for court proceedings; The Judicial Clerk as assistants shall not give advice on questions of law, nor shall they appear or act on behalf of any other person in any court proceedings.
- Providing security for all files, documents and materials filed with or in the custody of the courts.
- Maintain a library of laws, regulations, orders and decisions of the United States, Tribal Council and Courts of the Tribes.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding juvenile proceedings and records any pending cases in criminal and civil proceedings.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with all persons having business with the Court.
- Knowledgeable of Cocopah Tribe/Native American customs and traditions.
- Ability to function under conditions of stress.
- Ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively.
- Knowledge of judicial procedures.
- Ability to supervise other staff when required.
Education and/or Experience
- High School graduate or General Equivalency Diploma.
- Associate degree in Law & Society; preferred, a combination of related work experience and education may be considered.
- Type accurately with typewriter or computer, use copier, telephone, fax and recording equipment.
- Must dependable, stable and emotionally mature.
- Willing and able to participate in training/Education to improve and acquire new skills.
- Familiar with tribal, state and federal justice systems.
- Must be able to successfully pass DPS finger print background investigation.
- Valid driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance.
- Testing may be required.
Thank you for your time and interest in the Cocopah Indian Tribe.
In order for us to consider you an eligible applicant, we will be needing you to submit an official application. Please click the URL link, visit Cocopah.com to apply, or contact Cocopah HR at 928-627-2102.
Have a great day.