City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Program Specialist - Water Monitor
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
The Water Monitor promotes and educates customers in water conservation methods through customer interactions created by enforcing watering restrictions set by the Water Management Plan of the Water Department. This position begins mid-April and ends after the first week of October, for a term of approximately 25 weeks. Employees are expected to be present for the entirety of this contract, achieving 40 hours per week.
Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. The values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the city of Aurora, we value integrity, respect, professionalism and customer service as those core values and we attribute those values to our success as an organization, both as an employer and a servant of the community. If you hold these same values, we welcome you to apply.
This is a Seasonal position with NO benefits.
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Advocates water conservation by educating customers through outreach efforts
- Makes contact with customers, homeowners associations and contractors regarding water use issues
- Seeks compliance of City of Aurora codes in regards to waste of water
- Maintains patrols of the City looking for violations and responding to complaints that have been received on water waste
- Enforces watering restrictions set by the Water Management Plan of the Water Department
- Maintains records and prepares reports on customer interactions
- May perform residential irrigation and soil inspections
- Performs other duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School diploma or GED
- Basic/intermediate computer experience and experience in customer service or customer contact
- Related experience that demonstrates necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position
- Experience in conflict management, Irrigation system repair, and installation experience preferred but not required
- General knowledge of irrigation systems and practices associated with water conservation preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software and a basic understanding of computers
- An understanding of water conservation and irrigation practices is preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens, and contractors
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Maintain records and logs, and perform activities common to assigned job functions
- Ability to maintain focus and motivation over long periods of time while working independently
- Ability to thrive both independently and in a team setting
- Must exhibit strong skills in customer service, conflict management, problem-solving, attention to detail and management of multiple tasks under deadline
- Bilingual preferred but not required
Licenses and/or Certificates Required:
- Colorado Driver's License with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Moderate to heavy physical work depending upon the assigned function
- May require the ability to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Frequently performs activities requiring a full range of body movement including bending, stooping, kneeling, pushing, pulling, and climbing
- Hand/eye and hand/foot coordination for operation of equipment and vehicles
- Vision for reading gauges and written instructions
- Hearing/listening for instructions and warning signals
- Speech communication to communicate with employees and citizens
- Works primarily outdoors with exposure to all weather conditions, noise, dust, and fumes
- Long periods of drive time (up to 8 hours per day) throughout the city
- A small amount of work time will be indoors performing administrative tasks
- Desktop, tablet, radio, cell phone; equipment and vehicles common to utilities maintenance functions
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.