City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
This is a Contingent position, work hours are Monday- Friday 1pm to 5 pm
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation work spaces
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Activity Assistant performs a variety of tasks to implement day program recreation activities for frail and elderly seniors participating in the day care program at the Morning Star adult care facility.
- Facilitates or co-leads daily leisure programs for elderly adults and/or adults with disabilities; including set up and tear down for each program.
- Facilities activities such as arts/crafts, exercise/physical activities, social programs, discussion groups, cognitive games, special events, day trips, etc.
- Maintains a safe and positive environment during activities both inside and outside the day program facility.
- Documents participation in leisure activities in a daily basis.
- May drive for day trips, as needed.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of program policies and procedures, enforcing these consistently and fairly.
- Assists with the supervision of volunteers.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least six (6) months of full time or equivalent experience working with frail or elderly adults in an adult day program, skilled nursing facility or assisted living facility setting. Experience facilitating leisure programs.
- Familiarity of the general needs of the geriatric population and adults with disabilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to handle sensitive or difficult situations with tact and diplomac.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous service to the public.
Licenses, or Certificates Required:
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong organizational , problem solving and time management skills.
- Strong program conceptualization and delivery skills.
- Skills in the use of audio visual and computer equipment.
- Colorado diver license with a good driving record.
- Ability to obtain the following within the first six months of employment:
- Certification in CPR, First Aid, AED and city defensive driving course.
This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment.
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Light to Moderate physical work; requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Lifting, carrying, walking, standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, pushing or pulling,
- Sufficient hand/eye coordinator for operation of computer keyboard.
- Ability to operate motor vehicles with manual and automatic transmissions.
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with other employees, vendors, program participants, caregivers, and citizens.
- Works primarily indoors with exposure to body fluids, infections, odors and client behaviors.
______________________________________________________________________________For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
- Standard business and professional equipment and tools associated with the services being provided, including computers and motor vehicles.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.